The Fabulous Life of Jessica
An account of my time in China.
Thursday, July 17, 2008
Barbies and Cheese and Spitting, Oh My!
What do Barbie and Chinese girls have in common? Both seem to favor painfully high sandals, skimpy outfits with cutesy logos on them and have a fondness for sheer leggings. I would definitely say that the "interesting" outfits girls here like to wear would be one of the most surprising things about my China experience so far. It was my friend Sean who came up with the Barbie idea. We were out dancing on Tuesday and there were mostly Chinese people at the club. There was one girl wearing a hiphop style, jean, haltertop and booty shorts combo next to a girl wearing a semi-formal style black and white dress with a bolero jacket next to a girl wearing a tshirt and jumper. No leggings in sight but trust me, they love them.


Sorry for the poor photo quality but its just some picture I found online that wouldn't let me make a good copy. Anyway its supposed to be a picture of the cheese selection at Auchan. Yes, I said CHEESE.... in CHINA! (this is for you Liz!). On Wednesday I went to Auchan which is a French supermarket chain and basically serves as Chinese Walmart. I bought some delicious, buttery, Laughing Cow cheese and am happy to say that in general there was a nice selection of brie, mozzarella, cheddar, etc. to choose from. They even had Land O' Lakes. The size of cheese may be smaller than what you can get at home but its not really that expensive, everything averaged to about 5 U.S. dollars. So Liz you can come to China and have your grilled cheese too!

Other random things that I've seen/experienced recently:

1) A Chinese beggar child spit on my foot. I'm not sure why he thought spitting on my foot would make me more inclined to give him money but whatever.
2) I saw a gray man. Literally his skin was gray. Not a grayish white but a fairly, dark gray. I'm not sure what that was about but it was kinda disturbing.
3) Today I saw a baby kitten wandering around a grocery store and the next door fruit market. It was soooo tiny and clearly still needed its mommy. I hope she's still around. :(